3.1.13

The DDP of 2013

I'm not one that finds New Years to be that great of a holiday. While I enjoy any excuse to drink incessant amounts of alcohol as much as the next person, the idea of "resolutions" always bothered me. Why do you have to wait until a new year to begin anew? Can't you change during the year? So while I don't have any "resolutions for the New Year" per say, I will reflect on what I have taken away from the last year:

I blame my current fascination with expensive tequila on one gypsy I know all too well.


Diligence in relationships - for two consecutive falls I have witnessed one of my own family leave this world quite suddenly. As if the first time wasn't enough in 2011, 2012 certainly has taught me it is time to be intentional in my relationships - be it family, friends, or even enemies. I am going to devote more time to others inside or outside the district.

Perseverance - I  have had many a setback in my brief life, but none so affected by my own actions this year. But that isn't a negative thing, or so I learned in 2012. A setback is merely a test of character and will. Perseverance through those troubling times has brought about a new respect for life and others.

Openness to different - this honestly has been coming for quite some time, but finally culminated quite literally overnight into the new year. For the first 23 1/2 years of my life I have listened to what I believed were the norms for one's life. And there are so many around us that I have viewed almost as inferior because they chose not to follow the paths the world expected them to take. (Needless to say, I expect 2013 to be quite a drastic year for me because of this). The greatest example for me is the community that calls themselves "hipsters." We all love to scoff at their lifestyle, but if you take the time to experience it, you can see it isn't some bohemian style or lazy undertaking. It is just different. And different is good.

---

I am excited for what is to come this year. Based on what I have taken away from 2012, I cannot imagine how that will play into my life's choices. It will be different, diligent, and involve perseverance. What a great combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment