20.7.10

Mundanity is Exciting

I believe I have become complacent. Day in and day out, it has become a routine for me. I go into meetings with really nothing happening to excite me (or things failing to surprise me....). And it isn't because I am not enjoying my time down here. This is an experience of a lifetime and I feel as though I am missing out on half of what there is to offer here. Or are my expectations too high? I think I am merely confronting a sudden truth many people don't seem to discover. It really does require spending extended time in poverty to have it hit you.


Poverty isn't anything new. It isn't enthralling or captivating to me anymore. My heart is not moved by every story I hear. My eyes don't take a second glance at the paint peeling from the wood having been pummeled by season after season of downpours and hot humid sunshine. My heart doesn't drop as I hear about suffering or starvation, or even stress from not knowing where the next paycheck is going to come from (paycheck is being used here figuratively). And no it is not because I live in a city of incredible wealth where Inifinitis and Porsches can be commonplace. I see poverty, each day. But I have seen it so much, that it doesn't affect me as much. And it isn't that I am cold or pesamitic. But human suffering, while sad, isn't new or exciting for me anymore. It is life. As is riding a scooter to work each day. Or eating mangu or fried salami. 

So am I missing out here? Or are my expectations too high? I think my expectations are too high. To constantly be looking for something new and exciting, where does that lead? There will always be new in this world. But that ceaseless search for new would always lead to exhaustion and a lack of satisfaction. It is important to stop. So,


Stop.







Look around at the normalcy in your life. Then think about how abnormal it is. And find something new in something old and mundane. For the excitement you find in normalcy far outweighs the excitement of something new. 

1 comment:

  1. Grant, I am always so impressed by how reflective you are about your life and what is going on around you. You are genuinely making something good out of something most people take for granted,

    ReplyDelete