12.6.14

I am my own best mentor*

Why is it that we can be the best advice for others yet chose to act like a little child standing there in front of you, red faced yelling "LA LA LA" with their ears plugged by respective index fingers? My best friend Gypsy and I joke all the time as we talk about the ways of life about how we never listen to the advice that we give each other. And it seems I have been that little child so many times over the past few months.



But the funny thing is what happened as a result of it all. I have been in a little funk of no one's doing and I couldn't seem to shake it. Until I had an open and honest conversation with a good friend that it hit me like a brick wall. No, make that cement. Suddenly I could recall the countless times in the past I had given this certain strain advice to others. Literally, saw past events flashing by, as if someone had taken a recording of me making a mistake over and over again and forcing me to watch it for hours. And while it took me a few moments to digest it as I walked away and contemplated what had been spoken both physically and mentally, I suddenly felt this emotion of sadness lifted. Why?

I was suddenly free of this inwardly-focused state of mind and could take things from the proper perspective. I saw the good in the situation. I could see the potential there. And it excited me. I could see how I had been challenged in this situation. And I could see the positive outcome that had already come from it and just how much I had changed in just a few short months. And that is a good thing.

So now I need to go forward and unplug those ears, stop yelling as loud as I can to overcome that voice, and listen to the advice I can give myself. Because I know a thing or two it seems.


*full disclaimer: as some don't get my humor, there is sarcasm in the title and last line or two.. maybe just a little...


No comments:

Post a Comment