15.7.12

Country Road

I talk very, very fast. It is probably one of the first things people notice about me. Therapy years ago told me that it was because I struggled to feel as though I had a voice with my family. Sure, I lacked some serious confidence growing up. But now, I probably am way too overconfident. I am blunt and aggressive. No, I think now my mind is running a mile a minute, constantly contemplating, observing, remembering, forgetting, processing, well, you get the picture. A lot of times I find myself having to explain what I just stated to a group of friends, me being 30 seconds ahead in the conversation.


Okay, so we have established that I am crazy. But what does anyone else care? Either you have known for years, and if you didn't, it doesn't really matter. Because I have trouble slowing down. Life is quick for me. I get bored easily. And I grow tired just as fast. There are some positive outcomes from this. But there are also negative ones. I grow impatient. I begin to lose relationships merely because I get so distracted I fail to maintain contact. I also find myself with more anger. I speed more. I honk more. I get frustrated often.




My doctor told me the other day I had high blood pressure. Rest assured, it was because I was late for the appointment, had this whole ordeal getting to the office, and so I was stressed. Sure enough, a week later my blood pressure was fine. My stress levels obviously are affecting my health. And I get stressed because I live a quick life.




So it is time to slow down. Move over from the left lane. Heck, take that next exit and drive the country road. Granted, DC has no country roads, but you get the picture. Who cares if I can see 30 miles ahead? I have those next 30 miles to enjoy what will come. I will strengthen friendships and find myself in a much better place emotionally.

Sometimes, the country road is a better alternative. For me, the next few miles will certainly be on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment