26.6.11

Solar Control

We assume that the sun is to rise each morning. In fact, we can even go onto weather.com and find the exact time the sun will rise today, tomorrow, and the next 10 days. Brilliant. We also assume that the sun is going to set each evening, again with exact times for the next 10 days.

But is the sun going to rise tomorrow? Or will we be left in eternal darkness for the next millennia? Something we are so dependent on, we have such little control over. We need the sun for everything we do, literally nothing is without a need for the sun. Our very existence is dependent on it rising and setting rhythmically each day, season, and year. How powerless we are.

How powerless I am.

I am feeble, narrow-minded, and utterly powerless in my life. As are you. And you. And you. We depend on the sun. We depend on the Metro running on time. We depend on a government to tend to us and protect us. We depend on our minds to tell us and command us. We depend on the millions of farmers in this world to provide us with proper produce. So who am I then to make decisions, demands, or even wishes? Please, I can't even control one simple part of my life. And it isn't like my life is spinning out of control. Rather, it is almost comforting to realize just how weak I am. I am utterly powerless and as such, need to go about my life in such a way. A manner of respect and humility. And a heck of a lot more good comes from that than anything else. We don't try to control the sun, because we know we can't. And look at how good things have worked out between us and the sun for the past few millions of years? :)

If we can't control the sun, then why do we like to try to control our lives? I am moving forward today and will approach each situation with this reminder: I cannot control the sun. I cannot control the sun. I cannot control the sun.

1 comment:

  1. But you do have the power of God in you, and He is not powerless. He controls the sun, and can work miracles through even the poor and meek. This is the strength we have as we rise each day and face a world out of control. The humility and respect come from the knowledge that He is willing to work in us and through us to make a better world around us. Thanks be to God.

    ReplyDelete